French Underwear Line For Kids

Jours Apres Lunes

Earlier today, the NY Daily News wanted to get TLJ’s opinion on a new French brand called Jours Apres Lunes which has already generated a heated discussion on the news site’s comment board. We thought that the imagery would definitely create controversy here stateside.

The brand was created by Sophie Morin who, according the company’s website, has been involved in lingerie industry for over 15 years and that Jours Apres Lunes is aiming to create a niche of clothing for kids inspired by lingerie and loungewear called, “loungerie”.

I wanted to share the story with our readers and get everyone’s opinion. Please comment.

Comments
8 Responses to “French Underwear Line For Kids”
  1. Anina says:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. This is wrong on so many levels!
    It is one thing to make a line of underwear for kids. It’s an another to have little girls as models. Look at the various companies out there that sell kids underwear. I just did a search – couldn’t fine a one that uses a live model.
    To put make-up on little girls, give them adult hair styles and drape them with adult sunglasses and jewelry is to show their sexuality. Wrong.
    Give me a break. A seven year old girl is really thinking about her sexuality?
    Put little girls in pajamas and robes and call it lounge wear.
    Don’t put a child under 10 years old in a bra and panties and call it lounge wear.
    Little kids lounge in their pajamas or whatever they happen to be wearing – they don’t change into clothes like this.

• Emma says:

This is beyond the pale. I would never shop for this brand. I would never buy this brand. I think the people who advertise this are way out of line. Children are children, not marketing tools or sex objects. End of story.

2. Disgusted says:

Gross.

3. Darlene says:

I’m very pleased with the collection for tweens. It looks both age-appropriate, pretty, & fun but serious at the same time. By “serious”, I mean that a young woman whose mother takes her for her first fitting & buys her one of these can feel like she’s wearing a real bra designed with her in mind instead of one of those pretend training bras that can be purchased off the shelf of a local Target or Gap Body.

After having taken my 13-year-old niece for a fitting in NYC recently (you can read about the experience on my blog here: http://hourglassy.com/2011/06/why-cups-should-matter-to-d-mothers/), I was
    surprised at the dearth of options for the tween market. If a serious lingerie designer is filling this void in such a way that it encourages young women to begin their bra-wearing lives with a proper fitting, then I applaud this brand.

The marketing to girls younger than 10 just looks like fun to me–it’s appealing to the love of playing dress-up. The designs in this collection are much more pretend than the designs for the adolescents.

Regarding the marketing to girls younger than 10, I’m not as strongly opposed as Anina b/c it just looks like fun dress-up, although I can definitely see her point. In the photo showing the adolescent & the little girl in the same photo, there’s such a contrast btw the 2 body tpes, & I think the designer has captured that in her offerings to them

• Barbara says:

I totally agree with you, Darlene, I have a 5 year old daughter who loves playing dress up and the pictures reminds me of my daughter wearing beads in her panties.

People are strange, putting too much thoughts into these photos makes me think that people have real problems with their own sexuality.

4. Wow. I think these images are disturbing. I am a very, very open-minded person; but as the mother of a six year old daughter, I can tell you she does not need to wear a bra yet, and shouldn’t even be thinking about that type of undergarment. I am actually a bit speechless. Perhaps this ad isn’t supposed to be in good taste–perhaps it is supposed to be controversial (I remember CK brand ads with young girls a decade ago). In a word: no.

5. Kimber says:

unacceptable. Our children live in a world that pushes not just sex, but “sexiness” everyday. There is no reason to bring that into the live of girls this young. This appear to be more a focus of adults wanting to see children as sexy objects than it is about garments for girls of this age group. Disturbing for sure.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] As criticism mounts over Sophie Morin’s loungerie line for kids, Jours apres Lunes, it was important for us to give Sophia a chance to voice her opinion and defend her line. Sophia reached out to the Lingerie Journal and we wanted to share with our readers her response to all the recent criticism. See earlier story HERE. [...]